Al-Khidr journal (Arabic: الخدر, meaning “A Woman’s Chamber”) was founded by ʻAfīfah Fandī Sa’b, in 1919, and lasted for eight years. It was a monthly literary and scientific periodical, which first appeared in Shuwayfat (Lebanon), then relocated to Aley (Lebanon) in 1929. Afifah’s objectives in publishing this journal were to enlighten women and educate girls, especially those who lived in the countryside, and who did not have access to schools. Al-Khidr is often regarded as the first Druze women’s magazine. Discussing the status of Druze women became a fixed topic in the articles Afifah published. The journal also focused on scientific, literary and health issues, as well as housekeeping. It welcomed all male and female writers of that era.
Publication Date: 1919-1927
Place:, Shuwayfat then Aley, Lebanon
Available as print and microfilm at AUB Libraries
Library has: v.3-8 (1922 – 1927) in print (not complete) and v.1-8 (1919-1927) on Microfilm